Bargaining Unit: Local 856 - General Services & Maintenance Unit
Contra Costa County is seeking qualified candidates to fill an exciting opportunity for Driver Clerk. While Driver Clerk is a county-wide position, there is currently one (1) vacancy for a 32/40 Permanent Part-Time position with the Library Department.
The Library is made up of nearly 300 employees serving 26 communities throughout Contra Costa County. Its mission is to "Bring People and Ideas Together." The Library seeks to enrich lives by delivering a consistent, high quality, and inviting experience at all points of contact. It is an innovative, entrepreneurial and dynamic civic institution that is committed to providing exceptional services to its communities. The Library assumes critical roles in making the communities strong, equitable, resilient, and progressive.
While working in the Library, Driver Clerks work in the shipping unit moving library materials between 26 community libraries, Juvenile Hall, Administration, and other locations. Driver Clerks are responsible for loading and unloading vehicles and assisting with the delivery of equipment, such as tables, canopies, and other materials.
We are looking for someone who is:
- Customer service focused
- Experienced with delivery service
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Adaptable to a changing environment
What you will typically be responsible for:
- Safely driving a vehicle and following all relevant driving laws
- Driving for scheduled hours along a preset route with multiple stops
- Sorting bins of up to 50 pounds each
- Sorting materials into trucks prior to delivery
- Following ergonomic protocols to ensure proper lifting, lowering, and carrying
A few reasons you might love this job:
- You will have collaborative and helpful coworkers
- You will work independently while driving your route
- You will be part of a team that is essential to the community
A few challenges you might face in this job:
- Occasionally you will start your work shift before the sun has risen
- You will be required to maintain a timely delivery schedule
- You will encounter and have to navigate the stresses of rush hour traffic
- Decision Making: Choosing optimal courses of action in a timely manner
- Reading Comprehension: Understanding and using written information
- General Physical Ability: Using strength, endurance, flexibility, balance, and coordination
- Safety Focus: Showing vigilance and care in identifying and addressing health risks and safety hazards
- Using Technology: Working with electronic hardware and software applications
- Attention to Detail: Focusing on the details of work content, work steps, and final work products
- Handling Stress: Maintaining emotional stability and self-control under pressure, challenge, or adversity
- Self-Management: Showing personal organization, self-discipline, and dependability
- Oral Communication: Engaging effectively in dialogue
- Customer Focus: Attending to the needs and expectations of customers
- Professional Impact: Presenting self as a positive representative of the organization
- Valuing Diversity: Appreciating the benefits of varied backgrounds and cultures in the workplace
To read the complete job description, please visit the website, www.cccounty.us/hr
The eligible list established from this recruitment may remain in effect for six (6) months.
Education: Possession of a high school diploma, G.E.D. proficiency, or high school equivalency certificate.
License Required: Possession of a valid California motor vehicle operator's license as required to perform the essential job functions of the position. Out of state valid motor vehicle operator's license will be accepted during the application process and/or possession of a valid State of California Class B Driver's license when assigned to operate the Bookmobile,
Experience: Six (6) months experience as a Bindery Worker or Storeroom Clerk in Contra Costa County, or One (1) year of full time, or its equivalent, experience driving a vehicle for a professional service or agency or sorting, delivery, and pick up of transmittal mail.
- Prior delivery experience
- Prior customer service experience
- Certification or training in defensive driving
Application Filing and Evaluation: Applications will be evaluated to determine which candidates will move forward in the next phase of the recruitment process.
Multiple Choice Exam: A multiple choice assessment will be conducted to measure candidates' competencies as they relate to the job. These may include but are not limited to: decision making, reading comprehension, general physical ability, safety focus, attention to detail, and self-management. ( Weighted 100%)
Final Selection Interviews: Interviews will be scheduled by the d epartment once the eligible list is established.
If you apply for another recruitment that uses this exam and the test is scheduled within 6 months of the date you took the test, you will not have the option to re-take the exam.
The Driver Clerk Multiple Choice exam is tentatively scheduled to take place via computer (remotely) December 7, 2023.
Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the selection process.
The Human Resources Department may change the examination steps noted above in accordance with the Personnel Management Regulations and accepted selection practices.
For recruitment specific questions, please contact Melissa Moglie at Melissa.Moglie@hrd.cccounty.us. For any technical issues, please contact the GovernmentJobs' applicant support team for assistance at +1 855-524-5627.
After you receive a conditional job offer, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you have received a conditional job offer. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances. Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with Contra Costa County. If you accept a conditional job offer, the Human Resources department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
DISASTER SERVICE WORKER
All Contra Costa County employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law. Employment with the County requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
It is the policy of Contra Costa County to consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, or other protected category under the law.
To find more information on Benefits offered by Contra Costa County, please go to https://www.contracosta.ca.gov/1343/Employee-Benefits
Closing Date/Time: 11/26/2023 11:59 PM Pacific