Deputy City Clerk
The Deputy City Clerk performs a variety of complex administrative, technical and clerical duties. This position requires outstanding organization, customer service skills and the ability to work independently and meet critical deadlines. The Deputy City Clerk works under direct supervision of the City Clerk. Work is performed in a standard office environment requiring no more than normal physical abilities.
POSITION REPORTS TO: City Clerk
DIRECT REPORTS ASSIGNED: 0
JOB LOCATION: City Hall, 101 8 th Street, Glenwood Springs, CO
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
HOURS: 40 hours with occasional overtime required
Assists City Clerk with the creation of agendas, proclamations, memos, meeting packets and other documents as assigned. Provides excellent internal and external customer service by responding to public inquires in a professional manner, both written and verbal, provide assistance to the City Clerk, members of City Council and others as assigned. Prepares council chambers for City Council and Urban Renewal Authority meetings. Transcribes minutes of all City Council and URA meetings. Assists in the preparation and posting of legal documents and posting of public notices. Assists with liquor and marijuana licensing. Prepares and attends liquor license Hearings. Assists with City elections. Assists with petitions. Assists with records management and archiving documents. Assist with interment licenses and cemetery records. Assists with City insurance, auctions, contracts and procurement. Attends bid walkthroughs and virtual meetings. Assists with retrieval of documents for Colorado Open Records Act. Authorizes document destruction requests from various City Departments according to State regulations. Posts information to City website. Uses multiple programs including CivicClerk, BidNet, CIRSA, Docusign, and Public Surplus. Runs the public safety meetings. Obtains titles and licenses for new fleet vehicles from Garfield County Clerk and Recorder. Maintain file of vehicle titles and registrations. Performs duties of City Clerk in his/her absence, assists City departments as needed.
OTHER DUTIES: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive
listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties,
responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- The ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise sound judgement is imperative.
- Become familiar with the City charter and code.
- Knowledge of Colorado Statutes regarding duties and responsibilities of the City Clerk.
- General knowledge of office management procedures, records management, filing systems and office correspondence.
- Knowledge of business English and spelling: ability to produce quality written documents that deploy a professional appearance.
- Outstanding attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Ability to understand and follow both written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to establish effective relationships with other departments, community associations, business contacts, civic organizations, the media, and various other groups and individuals.
- Must have the ability to deal tactfully and communicate effectively in a clear concise manner, both verbally and in writing, with employees, elected officials and the public.
- This position will ultimately require thorough knowledge of the City Ordinances, and other laws, rules, regulations, and policies pertaining to municipal government.
EDUCATION, TRAINING & CERTIFICATIONS
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Five (5) years progressively responsible experience in a clerical environment and two (2) or more years of work experience with local government and strong records management skills preferred.
- Notary Public Commission or the ability to obtain such commission once hired.
NECESSARY PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Lifting: 20 pounds 60 pounds occasionally
Carrying: 20 pounds 60 pounds occasionally
Pushing/Pulling: 20 pounds 60 pounds occasionally
Climbing Stairs: occasionally
Climbing Ladders: occasionally
Reaching above/below/at shoulder level: frequently
Closing Date/Time: November 23, 2023 5:00 PM